Weird English

level
9
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Got some new info about the English language here and a little amazed of the Buffalo thing. Haha.


https://ahtaitay.blogspot.com/2017/10/weird-facts-about-english-language.html?fbclid=IwAR1Jf4tKcmWxCKCTyBG0pU8xZV4Adn89uKo_LntF9W9zbIFguLz3qaiatDk

Edzky-18

Posted 
0
#1
level
9
Posts409Likes152Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

So French is the official language of England? Now I know...

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
0
#2
level
6
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

So interesting! First, I didn't know about the ampersand being part of the alphabet before and was considered a letter. I just thought it was a "and" character.


Second, the buffalo.. I think there is something similar with that in our Filipino language. I'll share it here when I remember.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#3
level
6
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Did a quick search and found this example- referring to my point above about the buffalo..


Though not entirely the same, but similar when it comes to using the same "word" (or syllable) in the entire sentence.


"Baba?" Baba.

"Bababa ba?" Bababa.


Now, we're all like minions talking.  

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#4
level
10
Posts458Likes275Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

That's hilarious I am sure the stress is significantly different enough for you all to understand eachother but reads like gibberish

Posted 
0
#5
level
8
Posts204Likes76Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Interesting!

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
0
#6
level
9
Posts409Likes152Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rose.Angelie wrote:

So interesting! First, I didn't know about the ampersand being part of the alphabet before and was considered a letter. I just thought it was a "and" character.


Same here. This is very informative. Now, ampersand is no longer considered as an alphabet I wonder why, but its one of the special characters. 

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
0
#7
level
6
Posts145Likes61Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
That's hilarious I am sure the stress is significantly different enough for you all to understand eachother but reads like gibberish


Yes, the stress is different. If I didn't come across about this on a forum a long time ago I wouldn't have realize how confusing it is for those who don't speak the language. LOL



Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!


Posted 
0
#8
level
9
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rose.Angelie wrote:

Did a quick search and found this example- referring to my point above about the buffalo..

Though not entirely the same, but similar when it comes to using the same "word" (or syllable) in the entire sentence.

"Baba?" Baba.

"Bababa ba?" Bababa.

Now, we're all like minions talking. :joy: :joy:


Can you cite where the stress is in the 2nd bababa?...I'm wondering what it means, despite me being a Filipino. Hehe

Edzky-18

Posted 
0
#9
    Feedback