Learning Spanish

level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Have known by heart more than a hundred spanish words as of today... quite a small number but it's a good start...will keep this as my personal log to keep me updated and motivated.


Hasta maπana! :blush:

Edzky-18

Posted 
2
#1
level
14
Posts835Likes505Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Other Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

edz.conde wrote:
Have known by heart more than a hundred spanish words as of today... quite a small number but it's a good start...will keep this as my personal log to keep me updated and motivated.
Hasta maπana! :blush:

Congratulations!

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
2
#2
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

edz.conde wrote:

Have known by heart more than a hundred spanish words as of today... quite a small

number but it's a good start...will keep this as my personal log to keep me updated and motivated.

Hasta maπana! :blush:

Congratulations!


Gracias! :)

Edzky-18

Edited 
0
#3
level
10
Posts458Likes274Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

¡Muy bien ahora doscientos!

Posted 
1
#4
level
1
Posts30Likes11Joined12/7/2018LocationRis-Orangis / FR
Native
Spanish
Learning English, French

Excelente, continua así  

Posted 
1
#5
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

¡Muy bien ahora doscientos!


Very good _ 200! Haha! I'm really enjoying this. (No peeking in google here.... I dont know ahora in English and i'm not sure if doscientos is really 200?) 

Edzky-18

Edited 
0
#6
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Carolina.Rollon wrote:

Excelente, continua así :clap: :clap: :clap:


Excellent, continue as it is ("as it is" is just a guess... haha! Because that's the closest that I thought of to complete the sentence.)


Anyway, muchias gracias para tu comento! :) 


P. S. Please feel free to correct my sentences in spanish. Will take it as new learnings. :)

Edzky-18

Edited 
0
#7
level
1
Posts73Likes80Joined8/7/2018Location
Native
English
Learning Spanish
Other French, German

edz.conde wrote:

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

¡Muy bien ahora doscientos!

Very good _ 200! Haha! I'm really enjoying this. (No peeking in google here.... I dont know ahora in English and i'm not sure if doscientos is really 200?)

 

Ahora is now and yes 200

Edited 
0
#8
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Greg.Jones wrote:

edz.conde wrote:

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

¡Muy bien ahora doscientos!

Very good _ 200! Haha! I'm really enjoying this. (No peeking in google here.... I dont know ahora in English and i'm not sure if doscientos is really 200?)

Ahora is now and yes 200


Very good, now 200!...(Oh, thanks! Ajah for more words!)

Edzky-18

Posted 
0
#9
level
1
Posts171Likes89Joined11/7/2018Location
Native
Tagalog
Other English, German, Spanish

same here. :)

Posted 
1
#10
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Aileen.Cortes wrote:

same here. :)


Este bien esto nosotros son ambos aprendezaje Espaπol. :)

Edzky-18

Posted 
0
#11
level
14
Posts835Likes505Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Other Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

edz.conde wrote:
Espaπol

Tienes un ñ interesante

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#12
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

edz.conde wrote:
Espaπol

Tienes un ñ interesante


Haha! Yo soy solamente utulizando mi telefono y no puedo encontrar esto simbolo. 

Edzky-18

Posted 
1
#13
level
1
Posts69Likes49Joined8/7/2018LocationIT
Native
Russian, Swedish
Other English, Finnish, Italian

Me gusta español tambien :)

Posted 
0
#14
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Olga.Cygnel wrote:

Me gusta español tambien :)


Como lejos son tu en aprendezante la lengua? :)

Edzky-18

Posted 
1
#15
level
1
Posts70Likes20Joined3/9/2018LocationBuenos Aires / AR
Native
English, Spanish

muy bien, siga aprendiendo...

Posted 
1
#16
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

edz.conde wrote:
Haha! Yo soy solamente utulizando mi telefono y no puedo encontrar esto simbolo.


Since you said that you don't have any ish' with being corrected, I could add a few improvement suggestions.


The gerundio of utilizar would be utilizando (U-T-I-...). Just like EN "util" and "to utilize".


And the usual way of laughing in Spanish would be "jaja". Because the J is pronounced, but the H is a silent letter.


However, nowadays there also are cases of words with an H that is pronounced as a J. Like "hacker".


Important: These small corrections are about some specific words and phrases only. As for anything beyond, I keep silent. And that silence neither means that I state that everything else has correct grammar etc., nor that I state the opposite. Among the reasons for doing so is that I didn't reach the level of Active C2 Spanish Knowledge yet.


An example is that sometimes, I am not sure yet whether a Spanish native would prefer to use "soy" or "estoy". So I didn't say anything about your use of "soy" here. Maybe others, like Jess, would be able to answer instead.

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
1
#17
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

"muchias gracias" -> muchas gracias.


"comento" -> The one I know is comentario only.


"nosotros son" -> nosotros somos. "son" is for ellos/ellas/ustedes.


"Como lejos son tu en aprendezante la lengua? :)"


"aprendezante" -> (el) aprendizaje. 


"son" -> eres (or even estás, because of the "ser vs. estar" difference. The same could apply above as well. If estar would fit better to your use of nosotros there, then it would be estamos.)


"tu" as in "¿Y tú?" (and similar phrases) is written with an accent.


That said, I personally would rephrase the entire sentence.

But I also would speak in a similar way (while paying even more attention to verb conjugations ;)) when starting with any language. I am not among those who reject the idea of Tarzan Speak. There are too many examples of people who used it as a bridge to becoming better at whatever they are learning.

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
1
#18
level
10
Posts458Likes274Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

The grammar will come with time, ¡persevere!

Posted 
1
#19
level
1
Posts204Likes76Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

'Muchias Gracias' and 'Te Amo' are the two famous phrases that always comes into my mind from my favorite childhood spanish teleserye.  

Charlyn Amoin

Posted 
1
#20
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

Charlyn wrote:
'Muchias Gracias' and 'Te Amo' are the two famous phrases that always comes into my mind from my favorite childhood spanish teleserye. :blush:


Now you, too, wrote "muchias" with an i. Am I missing something? Just searched for it, and there were more than 10 000 results. And yes, I did write it within quotation marks when doing the Google search. Is it a slang I am not aware of, or just a wide-spread typo?

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
0
#21
level
1
Posts204Likes76Joined5/6/2018LocationLapu-lapu / PH
Native
Cebuano, Tagalog
Other English

Ok SGP. I just wrote it that way because my computer would not let me use the quotation marks for some reason.  

Charlyn Amoin

Edited 
0
#22
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

I got your point. Did you get mine, too?  

That Quotation Mark Thingy is unrelated to what you wrote. It isn't about " " vs ' ' (double quotation marks vs. single quotation marks).


It is about Google only. Because if you search for "muchias gracias", or, instead, for muchias gracias without quotation marks, you get different results.


Writing something within " " means,

"Hey Google, gotta tell ya someting. I only be intarested in any result dat precisely matches mi query. You wan give me any web page with the words "muchias" and "gracias", even if dem be mentioned in two different places wit'in di sem page? No chance, mi nah gwan fi accept dat!"


And writing it without " " means,

"You can give me any results that include all of these words. So if I search for ice cream, you can give me results such as "Vanilla ice cream is among the most popular variants". But I also accept anything else, even if it would be "There is a lot of ice. [... ... ...] By the way, the French word crème means cream in English".


As for what I wrote about "muchas gracias" vs. "muchias gracias": still asking myself whether this would be a certain slang, rather than a wide-spread typo only.


Because as for English, there really are some words that are intentionally misspelled. 

Example: jealous, instead of jelaous.




______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
0
#23
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

SGP wrote:

edz.conde wrote:

Haha! Yo soy solamente utulizando mi telefono y no puedo encontrar esto simbolo.

Since you said that you don't have any ish' with being corrected, I could add a few improvement suggestions.

The gerundio of utilizar would be utilizando (U-T-I-...). Just like EN "util" and "to utilize".

And the usual way of laughing in Spanish would be "jaja". Because the J is pronounced, but the H is a silent letter.

However, nowadays there also are cases of words with an H that is pronounced as a J. Like "hacker".

Important: These small corrections are about some specific words and phrases only. As for anything beyond, I keep silent. And that silence neither means that I state that everything else has correct grammar etc., nor that I state the opposite. Among the reasons for doing so is that I didn't reach the level of Active C2 Spanish Knowledge yet.

An example is that sometimes, I am not sure yet whether a Spanish native would prefer to use "soy" or "estoy". So I didn't say anything about your use of "soy" here. Maybe others, like Jess, would be able to answer instead.


Muchas gracias para tus pensamientos.

Edzky-18

Edited 
1
#24
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

The grammar will come with time, ¡persevere!


Gracias Jade! I'm slowly picking things up with grammar and all. Your inputs here and there illuminate some gray areas in my mind. 

Edzky-18

Edited 
1
#25
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

edz.conde wrote:
Muchas gracias para tus pensamientos.


De nada. Yo no he hecho ninguna cosa.

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Posted 
0
#26
level
14
Posts835Likes505Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Other Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

SGP wrote:
Now you, too, wrote "muchias" with an i. Am I missing something?

s/b mutsas  

I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Posted 
0
#27
level
1
Posts436Likes220Joined4/9/2018LocationCaracas / VE
Native
Spanish
Learning German, Italian
Other English

SGP wrote:
An example is that sometimes, I am not sure yet whether a Spanish native would prefer to use "soy" or "estoy". So I didn't say anything about your use of "soy" here. Maybe others, like Jess, would be able to answer instead.


"Ser vs Estar" all over again! haha


Yo soy - I am - verb "ser"

Yo estoy - I am - verb "estar"


You could use "soy" to describe yourself (yo soy alta / I'm tall) or things that you are feeling (yo soy feliz / I'm happy) and "estoy" to describe things you are doing (yo estoy cocinando / I'm cooking) 

Posted 
2
#28
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

Jess.PWinkler wrote:
"Ser vs Estar" all over again! haha
Yo soy - I am - verb "ser"
Yo estoy - I am - verb "estar"
You could use "soy" to describe yourself (yo soy alta / I'm tall) or things that you are feeling (yo soy feliz / I'm happy) and "estoy" to describe things you are doing (yo estoy cocinando / I'm cooking)


Funny, eh? Some words simply like coming back!


And of course you are right about "ser" being more for permanent attributes and general statements, while "estoy" is more about anything temporary. Because this is something like the gist of your explanation.


But as for those who didn't grew up using these two intuitively (i.e. non-natives), things could be a bit different.

There also are several additional details that do take some time to master.

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
0
#29
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

One of the "estar" examples I read was "estoy exhausto".

But if someone's general feeling is being exhausted, rather than being very tired one time a day only because of work, would it be "soy exhausto" then?

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Posted 
0
#30
level
10
Posts458Likes274Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

SGP wrote:

One of the "estar" examples I read was "estoy exhausto".

But if someone's general feeling is being exhausted, rather than being very tired one time a day only because of work, would it be "soy exhausto" then?


I don't think they would use soy with anything emotional. Just with things can have a state of permenance. Perro no estoy un nativo.

Posted 
0
#31
level
1
Posts119Likes39Joined10/12/2018Location
Native
German
Learning Afrikaans, Arabic - Standard, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Toki Pona
Other Polish, Russian, Sinhala, Tagalog

Jade.Xuereb wrote:
I don't think they would use soy with anything emotional. Just with things can have a state of permenance. Perro no estoy un nativo.


Jade, I'd like to tell you something right now. Figuring out how to solve this "ser vs. estar" puzzle is among the most interesting aspects of learning Spanish to me. Maybe it would be solved incrementally, just like assembling the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, rather than all at once. 


Also, I'd like to briefly mention that I know that typos do happen sometimes. But since you described your current level of Spanish as A2, I'd just like to remind you of something you possibly already know very well anyway. The difference between a single and double consonant sometimes is of additional importance even. Spanish and Arabic have a lot in common.


And sometimes, I wouldn't cease to be amazed because of all these similarities than can serve as a communicational bridge. Getting started in Arabic for natives of Spanish, or vice-versa, is "too easy" even .

______________________________

SGP = _____ _____ ____ (currently remixing my nickname)

My Youtube channel (EN, DE, ...)

Alpha Centauri Style Music (on Soundcloud)

Edited 
0
#32
level
10
Posts458Likes274Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

I am b1 ish level I but don't have an official cert. I failed my B2 onn account I am crap at recognising what tenses i am speaking in past a certain point. I am fine with English tenses but Spanish has around 15 some argue more. ... My answer is based on observation o have never heard anyone say soy exausto.. more estoy exausto todo el tiempo.


And my autocorrect only knows some Spanish I have four dogs we evidently text about them a lot!! 

Edited 
0
#33
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Got some new spanish words learned today:


Feliz dia de San Valentin!


Enviando mi amor a todos. :kissing_heart::gift_heart::hugging_face::blush:

Edzky-18

Posted 
0
#34
level
10
Posts458Likes274Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Era el cumple de mi hija también :heart_eyes_cat:

Posted 
1
#35
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Edzky-18

Posted 
0
#36
level
1
Posts363Likes174Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Jade.Xuereb wrote:

Era el cumple de mi hija también :heart_eyes_cat:


Feliz compleano tardio para usted hija.

Edzky-18

Posted 
0
#37