Sleep-learning

Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

I don't know how effective is this in learning new words of a new language, but I'm kind of curious of doing it, if I can.... perhaps one of these days. Haha. What do you think about this guys? 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190131113837.htm

(edit - link fixed)

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

The link to the article says '404 not found'

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/7/2018LocationAlmeria / ES
Native
English
Other Arabic - Egyptian, French, German, Spanish

Yeahlonl is dead for me too, but I have tried listening to learning tales whilst sleeping in the past. It didn't help at all but perhaps of you had a good level to begin with it would help get you thinking in the second language instead of your native tongue

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined15/9/2018LocationSkopje / MK
Native
Macedonian
Other English, Serbian

I think there was a thread for something like this

I guess that concept of learning works, but only for some people. I think you have to be in a certain mindset for that, I doubt everyone can sleep learn by default 

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

edz.conde wrote:
I don't know how effective is this in learning new words of a new language, but I'm kind of curious of doing it, if I can.... perhaps one of these days. Haha. What do you think about this guys?

Please update the link, I'd love to read it.

This might not be completely the same but kinda related, I found some Youtube music that (as some people claim) encourages learning - or maybe improvement in learning. I forgot the actual term but they said it was scientifically proven.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rose.Angelie wrote:

edz.conde wrote:

Please update the link, I'd love to read it.

This might not be completely the same but kinda related, I found some Youtube music that (as some people claim) encourages learning - or maybe improvement in learning. I forgot the actual term but they said it was scientifically proven.

Try this one...I think, the link was broken when I copied it...

Edzky-18

Edited 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

dragonsky wrote:

I think there was a thread for something like this

I guess that concept of learning works, but only for some people. I think you have to be in a certain mindset for that, I doubt everyone can sleep learn by default

My thoughts goes the same way, mindset is probably the key in order for this type of learning to be effective.

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

edz.conde wrote:

Try this one...I think, the link was broken when I copied it...

Got it, thanks for sharing!

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Edited 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

We had a related thread here.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

We had a related thread here.

Thanks Leo! :slightly_smiling_face:

Edzky-18

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

I finally got to read the OP article. All it shows is that, at a very basic level and with very careful timing/preparation, new foreign words and their translations could be associated during a midday nap with associations stored into wakefulness. So this type of sleep learning is possible, which frankly isn't a big surprise to me. 

But does it make sense to try to recreate these conditions and learn this way? I think that the answer is still a big "NO", as shown in the article I linked to above.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback