Speaking ‘Parentese’ Helps Baby’s Language Learning

Posts0Likes0Joined6/10/2018LocationLagos / NG
Native
English
Other French

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/study-speaking-parentese-helps-baby-s-language-learning/4764116.html

From what I gathered,they think mimicking a baby's babble and speaking baby language will slow down their language learning process. 

How realistic is this "parentese"

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

I never heard of "parentese" before but I think this is true! As a parent, I made sure that I didn't "baby talk" to my kids when they were younger. I always spoke to them in complete sentences (even when I know they might not understand me), though in a slower pace, and I constantly repeated what I said especially when I was teaching them something like giving directions. And true enough, my two children were pretty advance speakers when they were young. Both of them were able to communicate clearly at age 2 compared to their peers. (They're 8 & 5 now and are very talkative! haha).

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Rose.Angelie wrote:

I never heard of "parentese" before but I think this is true! As a parent, I made sure that I didn't "baby talk" to my kids when they were younger. I always spoke to them in complete sentences (even when I know they might not understand me), though in a slower pace, and I constantly repeated what I said especially when I was teaching them something like giving directions. And true enough, my two children were pretty advance speakers when they were young. Both of them were able to communicate clearly at age 2 compared to their peers. (They're 8 & 5 now and are very talkative! haha).

I remember playing with my friend's baby and was mimicking baby sound. That's when she told me about speaking to your kids and how they catch up faster when spoken to in the way you would an adult.

I see the sense in it. Growing babies are picking up and learning new things everyday from their surrounding. So what they hear,they tend to assimilate. 

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

It's an interesting article. I wanted to point out thought that "Parentese" isn't exactly talking to children like they are adults:

Generally, parentese involves adults speaking in a higher voice and at a slower speed. The language is simplified, while sentences are short and often repeated. Studies from the past 30 years have confirmed that babies spoken to in parentese developed larger vocabularies throughout the first three years of life.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English
Other French

Thanks Leo.

Of course it's absolutely normal to use simplified words for a growing baby. It's same for someone learning a new language, you don't go off learning the complex vocabs first.

As for the higher voice, I think it happens naturally. Anytime I'm speaking with a child,my voice pitch automatically goes up.

Kevwe A.

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

Oghenekevwe wrote:
Of course it's absolutely normal to use simplified words for a growing baby. It's same for someone learning a new language, you don't go off learning the complex vocabs first.As for the higher voice, I think it happens naturally. Anytime I'm speaking with a child,my voice pitch automatically goes up.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've never had kids, but I would speak in higher voice to my pets, haha. It would be interesting to compare parentese to just normal adult speech, but there probably haven't been any studies on that.

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
    Feedback