Tagalog translation for the word "website"

Posts0Likes0Joined15/10/2018LocationLingayen, Pangasinan / PH
Native
English, Tagalog
Learning Japanese, Korean
Other Arabic - Standard

Hello Filipino friends!

I've been asked what the Tagalog word is for "website". Do you have any idea if there is a word for it in Tagalog? :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationTrece Martires City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

https://www.google.com/amp/s/filipiknow.net/rare-tagalog-words/

you can find the tagalog word of website from the link above. its "pook sapot" :grin:

do the right thing even when nobody is watching

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Wow Michelle! This resource is really helpful. Thanks a lot! :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Michelle.Batan wrote:

you can find the tagalog word of website from the link above. its "pook sapot" :grin:

Is this a joke? Haha. Haven't heard the word but just now. It's kind of weird though because it's very literally translated in our language. Web = sapot and site=pook. I need to check the link you provided because I'm really curious about this translation.

Edzky-18

Edited 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Rai.S. wrote:

I've been asked what the Tagalog word is for "website".

Out of plain curiosity, why would someone ask? Hehe 

Michelle.Batan wrote:

I checked the link above and found them all new to me. It's really interesting how languages change.. new words are added every now and then. Also, I wonder if anyone would ever use these terms. I don't think even Pinoys will do. At least not in daily conversations. Hehe

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Rose.Angelie wrote:

Out of plain curiosity, why would someone ask? Hehe

Well, Rose, the truth is someone asked me to translate a sentence wherein the word 'website' was used. Got no luck in looking for the Tagalog word in an English-Tagalog dictionary and online. It's a good thing that Michelle found the site above. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined8/10/2018LocationCebu / PH
Native
Cebuano, English, Tagalog
Learning French, Japanese, Spanish

Rai.S. wrote:

Well, Rose, the truth is someone asked me to translate a sentence wherein the word 'website' was used. Got no luck in looking for the Tagalog word in an English-Tagalog dictionary and online. It's a good thing that Michelle found the site above. :)

Oh, I see. :) That was one good resource.

Everyday is a learning journey. Keep going!

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

Right. Big thanks to Michelle. :)

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

I think it's one of those words that we just "coin" to Tagalog like midya and kompyuter. We tagalize it by changing the spelling. We had a class in college that discussed this and why it's preferable to do this over using hard to understand Tagalog words/terms. I forgot what rationale was given though.

--

ikay

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

edz.conde wrote:

Michelle.Batan wrote:

Is this a joke? Haha. Haven't heard the word but just now. It's kind of weird though because it's very literally translated in our language. Web = sapot and site=pook. I need to check the link you provided because I'm really curious about this translation.

to be honest, im not sure lol 

Posted 
Native
Tagalog
Other English

Rai.S. wrote:

Wow Michelle! This resource is really helpful. Thanks a lot! :)

no worries :blush:

Posted 
Posts1630Likes1092Joined18/3/2018LocationBellingham / US
Native
English
Learning German
Other Chinese - Mandarin, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai

websayt?

In Thailand now. Next up Tanzania and Philippines.

Posted 
Native
English, Tagalog
Other Arabic - Standard

ikaymoreno wrote:

I think it's one of those words that we just "coin" to Tagalog like midya and kompyuter. We tagalize it by changing the spelling. We had a class in college that discussed this and why it's preferable to do this over using hard to understand Tagalog words/terms. I forgot what rationale was given though.

Great point here too, ikay. Easily understanding the word comes first. Some Tagalog words are seldom used because not many Filipinos know those words even exist. I'm not sure how to properly address those tech words though.

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined11/7/2018LocationManila / PH
Native
Tagalog
Learning English, Korean

Rai.S. wrote:
ikaymoreno wrote:

Great point here too, ikay. Easily understanding the word comes first. Some Tagalog words are seldom used because not many Filipinos know those words even exist. I'm not sure how to properly address those tech words though.

The prof gave a very solid explanation on the why and how but ...I'm old. Hahahaha! I can't remember what it was. We were discussing lingua franca vs colloquial vs slang. Then this came up. Maybe somebody with a fresher brain can remember this from their Filipino course. :P

--

ikay

Posted 
Posts0Likes0Joined10/7/2018LocationBinan City / PH
Native
Tagalog
Other English

leosmith wrote:

websayt?

Actually I would prefer to use this one because it actually just follows one of the rules in english-tagalog translation "kung anong bigkas syang baybay" like teacher=titser, meeting=miting. I've seen the word "websayt" used in some tagalog novelas. I just remember it now.

Edzky-18

Edited 
    Feedback